28 June, 2005

iPod for my car?

I don’t own an iPod yet. Yes I am little behind the times and they sure are neat devices. I’ve kinda out grown the whole listen to your music walkman-like thing. But if I could hook it up to my car, well that would be a great. 10,000 songs at my fingertips for my driving pleasure have tremendous appeal. The four disc changer is just too limiting and keeping a stack of discs in the car….. So I have been scouring the Internet in search of something to enable my car to use an iPod. I don’t have a tape deck, so that eliminates one option real quick. So far my search has not been successful. I did find hope. Apple has recently announced that a number of automakers will be enabling their auto lines to make use of the iPod. I am hoping that they will be some sort of kit that can be retrofitted onto an older model. This is good news but it may already be obsolete.

In my search I stumbled across this interesting website: MP3Car. The auto modders are putting entire PCs into their cars turning them into mobile multimedia centers. Cell phones are enough of a distraction. Now all sorts of distractions are in the making. Imagine your car being connected online, all the time, anywhere. Instant chat, gaming, DVDs, shopping, GPS, e-mail, blogging, whatever. When you get home just link up with your home wireless LAN and sync up. Some of the creative efforts shown off in the forums are quite impressive. Peoria has some pretty skilled auto modders. You see some of their cars on the road. Some are fascinating while others just make you laugh. I wonder if any of them have made a multi-media boom car yet? I would be tempted to have such work done to mine if the guy had skills!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home