04 November, 2005

Don't like what is on the radio?

Yeah... my PC is back up. No hardware changes... yet. No new software... yet. Clean installs always run much better.

Moving on...

As I reinstall stuff, one rediscovers some charming things. Winamp is a beautiful MP3 player. It is independent and its basic functionality is FREE. It is on every install I do. But that is not what I wanted to point out.

There has been some local interest in podcasts and internet broadcasting. The good folks at Nullsoft make a server, called Shoutcast for streaming onto the net. It is FREE too !!! The rub is bandwidth. The more people you let listen, the bigger the pipe you need and must pay for.

One set of stations I like dipping into are the SomaFM channels. Groove Salad is very nice. Totally eclectic. They have some bits on how they are set up and point to some copyright issues that might be of interest. They are publically supported through donations. No commercials !!!

With some hardware cleverness one can get this to feed to one's stereo, but I don't have the toys for that yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home