06 June, 2006

Wabbits !!



Last year and the year before it was chipmunks. Before that, it was racoons. This year it is wabbits! I am jealous of anyone who has a garden that survives. The Uplands is run amok with rabbits. There must be a couple dozen around my home alone and I see them everywhere. They aren't living in my yard but they all seem to find their way here. Of course having a mullberry tree in the back yard of the neighboring abandoned house doesn't help.

I can't grow vegatibles at all. A good many flowers don't survive either. I have yet to see my spring crocus in bloom. The rabbits and the chipmunks keep eating them. Short of putting up barbed wire, electric fencing, and sniper guard tower, I really don't see how it can work.

Some kind neighbors have let their cats roam wild in the neighborhood. I am very greatful, because they probably single handedly reduced the chipmunk population. Unfortunately rabbits have taken their place and well.. the cats don't seem to have the moxie to take on the rabbits. Someone needs to remind these cats, who the predators are and how tasty rabbit can be.

Then there are the neighbors who go out of their way to feed these buggers.... there really is no need to feed them. They are doin just fine eating my flowers, thank you.

Does anyone enjoy cleaning and eating rabbits? I have no stomach for the cleaning part. Seriously tho, If you want rabbits to eat, I will get a 'humane' havahart cage trap for them. You can have all you want. It probably is against city regulations to trap rabbits but I don't see Wallace & Gromit, of animal control out here. As long as it is all done cleanly and safely, who would complain.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are the sole reason I've thought about getting a pellet gun.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Chef Kevin said...

I can't put fish in the pond in my landscaping because the racoons like to go fishing. I cracked one with a pellet gun, albeit from long range. It had it's effect at the time, but... Letting loose with the .22 would be illegal. But I do live in the east Bluff so what's another gunshot at 1 am? Before anyone gets their shorts all twistied about me .22-ing racoons, I'm kidding. I'm putting up the electrical fencing that my grandfather used to keep his farm animals in line.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Laura Petelle said...

My neighbor is now using a slingshot with tiny bb-type steel pellets. Every man in the neighborhood has been over to take target practice at the bunnies. Every woman in the neighborhood is like, "WHAT THE HELL, GUYS?" Such a man thing.

We are using lots and lots and lots of chickenwire. Our broccoli is a total loss and I had to replant all the beans, but otherwise we seem to have gotten the chickenwire up in time.

I keep telling my friend with a rabbit-hunting dog to bring her dog over and let him loose in my yard.

And I can see one RIGHT NOW in the garden eating my sunflower seedlings! STUPID RABBIT!!!!

Out of curiosity, would a local butcher clean the rabbits for you? I'm not sure I really want to take up killing rabbits in my backyard, but they ARE tasty little buggers.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I purchased a fine pellet gun at Jacks sporting goods before it closed, the small pellets .177 cal and very powerful. I put a scope on it and it is extremely accurate. I have popped racoons as well as other pesky varmints and it will do the job. I am in the uplands as well, although the rabbit population is up I am betting the coyotes will decemate the buggers nearer to 74 and the park and then start creeping up the hill for a midnight snack or three.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Mahkno said...

Pellet guns are legal to use inside city limits?

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home