28 February, 2006

Louder than Bombs


A few days ago a bit surfaced in the news that the singer Morrissey had become a 'person of interest' and was questioned by the FBI and the British Intelligence. The man had the gall to question the war and government. Morrissey is the former front man to The Smiths, who later went on to make solo albums. The bit struck me. It seems every now and then another 'famous' person is questioned by such n such agency in an eternal lifting of stones in search of terrorist grubs. Cat Stevens got his turn at questioning. There have been others. We never hear about the ordinary folk who get questioned. Yet it seems that some in government have developed a sort of paranoia. Maybe there is one over here... or over there. Got to keep the water pure. The idea that Morrissey would be a terrorist strikes me as absurd. Not that I know the guy, I don't but still.

So.. this got me in the mood to listen to the Smiths again. I found I hadn't put them on my iPod yet, so I loaded them up. Went to fix gyros for dinner transfixed to the music. I love the Smiths. It is one of those defining bands that influenced so many, yet themselves remain largely obscure. I can't recall ever hearing them on a typical radio station. The music of the Smiths is of paradox and absurdity. It is fitting I suppose that Morrissey's run in with the FBI would reveal the absurdity that anti-terrorism has reached. Louder than Bombs.

The sweet and tender hooligan, hooligan
Because he'll never, never do it again
And ...
"In the midst of life we are in death ETC."
Don't forget the hooligan, hooligan
Because he'll never, never do it again
And ...
"In the midst of life we are in death ETC."


1 Comments:

Blogger PeoriaIllinoisan said...

Check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060317/music_nm/morrissey_dc;_ylt=Ah2i_xg0qpcneEr0lzHsnYwDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home